Thursday, November 4, 2010

Apples Everywhere




The neighbors brought over a bag of apples from their trip to Long Island last week, so I wanted to use them to make something quick to serve as a weeknight dessert. I decided on an apple tart, and added a rim just to use up my extra dough.
Because I was making chili at almost the same time, I wasn't paying enough attention and ended up with only half the recommended amount of butter in the dough.
The result is a firm but crumbly crust. V. says it's the best tart or pie he's ever had. I wouldn't go that far - it's just not dessert-y enough. It also contains very little sugar, so I feel like I've discovered a delicious new breakfast item, as well as a dessert that we like, but that I might be hesitant to serve to guests (except for brunch)!

Here's the version that ended up in my oven:

I used a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom (one of the greatest inventions of all time)!

Nutty Pate Brisee
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 stick cold butter, cut into thin slices

Apple Filling
6-9 apples, depending on size, peeled and cut into small pieces
cinnamon
nutmeg
powdered ginger
honey
sugar

I instinctively kneaded all the ingredients for the dough by hand, though putting them in the food processor would have been just as good (except for the extra dishes).
I rolled out the dough and lined my buttered tart pan.

In a bowl, I tossed the apples with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to taste, and drizzled some honey over the top.
I pierced the tart crust we mixture with a fork a few times and filled it with the apples. Sprinkled a bit of sugar and butter over the top so the apples would caramelize.
Cut a wide strip of dough and laid it around the edge of the tart, pressing down the sides to adhere them. Cut out leaves and attached them with a bit of eggwash.

Baked at 350 degrees for about 45-50 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment