Sunday, November 13, 2011

Marzipan-Pignoli Cookies (and a truffle experiment)



We had friends over for dinner again last night, and I wanted to have some bite-size cookies around to serve with coffee and tea. These are a cross between Italian pignoli cookies and German Bethmaennchen (almond Christmas cookies). They're quite chewy and have a delightlful almond fragrance. If you want the pine nuts to feature more prominently you can cover the entire cookie in them. Or omit them entirely and replace with blanched almonds.
On a side note, after I made these, I went to Eataly in Manhattan to buy my first fresh white truffle. It was like having a little golden nugget in my pocket! 


I just wanted to unwrap it on the subway and sit there and sniff it. But that would have been pretty creepy. 
I made a light pasta with asparagus, and we shaved it over the top. Unfortunately it didn't have much flavor at all. Either we didn't have enough, or it wasn't as fresh as it could have been. Probably both. So I'm a little disappointed, but I'm still eager to try again with a black truffle. 



Marzipan Pignoli Cookies

1 can marzipan (300g)
150g powdered sugar
150g ground almonds (I used Bob's Red Mill)
a shot of dark rum
2 egg whites
2 tblsp. honey
1/2 cup (or more) pine nuts

In a bowl, using your hands, knead together the marzipan, powdered sugar, ground almonds, 1 egg white, rum and salt.
Keeping your hands slightly damp, roll the dough into small balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with you thumb. Brush each cookie lightly with egg white and press the pine nuts into it.
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden and browning slightly on the bottom.
Let cool before removing from sheet pan.
Store in an airtight container, or eat immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I spent $500 on truffles at Eatly and they had no flavor as well.
    truffles are best fresh ~*~
    most even in NYC are NOT fresh, or stored proper to maintain their freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've talked to a few other people, and it seems you are absolutely correct about that. Too bad. We'll make do with truffle oil from now on, I think, and hope to someday go to Italy for some really fresh ones!!

    ReplyDelete