Sunday, February 27, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup



Winter is hanging on, and with a recent round of long illnesses in our house, we've been eating soup non-stop. I absolutely love soup as a staple to my diet during the colder months, but find the challenge to be finding a recipe that all five members of the family will enjoy. This soup happens to fit that bill, so I thought I'd share the recipe in the hopes that your family will enjoy it too!!!!! I'm sure at one point I scribbled the exact measurements down from a magazine, but now I've made it so often that I just wing it each time.

Butternut Apple Soup

1 Tbl oil, or melted butter
1 small purple onion
1 medium butternut squash
4 Macintosh apples
1-2 tsp cumin
large pinch ground ginger
2 cups soup stock

Peel and chop the squash into small squares, set aside. Peel and chop the apples, and set aside. Heat oil or butter in pot, and cook onions on medium heat until they are soft. Add the squash and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the cumin and ginger and stir well. Add apples and cook for a minute, then add soup stock and enough water to cover. Partially cover the pot with a lid, and cook under medium heat until everything is soft. Blend soup together, and add salt and pepper as needed.

Enjoy! One daughter loves this soup with cheese melted on a baked potato, another with a tea biscuit on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment