Friday, February 4, 2011

Granola


We're big granola eaters in this family - I love it as an evening snack when I'm feeling peckish, and now that Jamie has to get up so early on the days he drives into work, he likes a meal that he can bring along with him and eat once he arrives in the office. We haven't found a brand that we like in the grocery stores, so have been experimenting with homemade ones. We quickly discovered that we don't like granola made with molasses, so have scratched those recipes from our list - and then last weekend I tried out a combination of a few recipes I'd read and came up with a version we both really enjoyed. I still may tweek it a bit here and there, but since that's more to personal tastes, I thought I'd share the recipe so far. I'd love to hear other versions that you make, as it's fun to change up our breakfast foods every once in a while!

Homemade Granola

6 cups of oats (we use a combination of regular oats, quinoa flakes and barley flakes)
4 cups of seeds and nuts (things like sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chopped almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, shredded coconut, raisins, cranberries, etc - essentially a combination that appeals to you!)
2 cups of flour (I tried adding a bit of wheat bran, but I think that made it more bitter)
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch sea salt
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup orange juice (we used mango juice as that's what we had)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract

Mix all of the ingredients well, and place on a baking sheet or two. Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 45-60 min, turning the pans every 15 minutes or so to ensure even browning. Store in an airtight container.

I love to eat this with half yoghurt and half applesauce, while Jamie prefers his with a little milk. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You inspired me to make granola last night. I didn't use flour because I don't like it to stick together. I also didn't have any juice, so it's very crunchy...next time will definitely get some! So good! Never buying it again!!
    Xo anja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and i added a small sprinkle of ground cloves, which I really like.

    ReplyDelete