Saturday, September 24, 2011

Hands down, the moistest vanilla cake!



Although I love my usual vanilla cake recipe, I decided I needed to finally try the "Magnificent Moist Golden Cake" from Shirley O. Corriher's book "Bakewise." All the recipes in the book are diligently researched by someone who understands the science of baking, and so I have so far found them all to be completely failsafe.
This is the moistest cake you will ever make! There are a few more steps (as well as a few more eggs) involved than in your average cake, but it is so worth the effort.
I filled with blueberry jam and frosted with vanilla buttercream.
I doubled the recipe below, because I wanted a taller cake. As is, it makes one 9" pan. 
Here's what I did:


Moistest Vanilla Cake

4 tblsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil
3 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups cake flour (all-purpose will not work)
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup buttermilk 
1/2 cup heavy cream


Whip the heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the shelf in the lower third of the oven.

Grease your cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.

In a mixer, cream the butter at medium speed until it is light in color. Add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once. Blend in the vanilla and the oil.

Blend in the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing until just combined. Repeat with the whole eggs.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

On the lowest speed, blend half the flour into the batter. Blend in half the buttermilk. Mix in the remaining flour, then the remaining buttermilk.

Fold a quarter of the whipped cream into the batter to lighten it. Then fold in the rest of it.

Pour your batter into the pan and bake for approx. 40 mins. or until a skewer comes out clean. Let cool before unmoulding.


2 comments:

  1. its really an awesome cake!!! I made it and it's delicious!! although I applied simple syrup to keep it moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best, moist, fluffy cake ever! Cake of my dreams right here!

    ReplyDelete